To be Eligible to Study in Canada?

You have to have been accepted by a school, faculty, university or other educational institution in Canada.

You should prove that you have enough money to pay your:

  • Tuition.
  • Support expenses for yourself and your family members that will be travelling with you to Canada.
  • Return transportation for yourself and the family members that will be traveling with you to Canada.
  • You should be a citizen that respects the law, without criminal record and not be a security risk for Canada.
  • You might be asked to provide a police certificate.
  • You should have good health and be willing to have a medical exam, if it is necessary.
  • You should assure an immigration official that you will leave Canada upon completing your authorized stay.
  • A Temporary Residence Visa (TRV in its English initials) may also be necessary if the student is a citizen of a country that requires Temporary Residence Visas to enter Canada. A Temporary Residence Visa is not required from citizens of countries that are exempt from visas. Verify whether or not you require a visa.

Working in Canada as a Student?

Since June 1, 2014, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) permits students that are studying in one of the eligible schools and that have a permit to study, to work part time, 20 hours a week and full time during vacations from their studies.

There are also other types of work permits:

  • In the Cooperation and Internship programs, where the work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.
  • The spouses and couple in de facto of the foreign students are eligible for a work permit during the duration of the study permit.
  • After graduation, a foreign student can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, a work permit can be issued during the duration of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.