Work in Canada

Under the Temporary Foreigner Work Program (TFWP, for its initials in English), the CIC facilitates a temporary entry for necessary Foreign workers to deal with the scarcity in the labor force and provides other economic opportunities for Canadians, such as the creation of jobs and the transfer of new abilities and knowledge. With the exception of some cases, foreign workers should obtain an approved job offer and a work permit before arriving in Canada. CIC works with HRSDC to assure itself that the admission of foreign workers does not negatively affect labor opportunities of Canadian citizens or the permanent residents.

High skilled workers

For those that have received a work offer in Canada, and require our help in obtaining the work permit, there are different ways of applying for your work permit depending on your case. We specifically invite you to take one of our evaluations, which have been designed to help you. The cost of the evaluation will be discounted, if we represent you in obtaining your work permit.

Hiring process of a worker

The hiring of a temporary foreign worker starts with the employers requesting from the Human Resources and Skills Development Department of Canada (HRSDC, for its initials in English) a positive “labor market opinion” (LMIA, for its initials in English). Without a LMIA previously known as an approved LMO, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration of Canada cannot allow a work permit.

Low skilled workers

In the case of the foreign workers with low skills, for jobs that do not require more than a high school diploma or up to two years of job training, the employers should sign a contract with the worker establishing the salary and the work conditions. The contract should also indicate if the employer will pay for the travel expenses from the country of origin and return, that they will not recuperate the recruiting costs of the worker; that they will help the worker find adequate and accessible housing and provide medical coverage until the worker is eligible for provincial health coverage.

The taxes will be deducted from the paychecks of the worker. However, they are not eligible for social benefits if they are laid-off. They can receive unemployment insurance, but in practice, very few of those that apply do.

Additionally, in Alberta and Ontario, seasonal agricultural workers are prohibited from joining unions.