Mexico – International Co-op (Internships)

Description: The International Co-op category (internships) is designed for those Mexican Citizens that are registered in a post-high school institution in Mexico. The participants should be registered students during the duration of the internships. The participants should need or desire to complete a work position or internship in Canada for fulfill part of their academic curriculum (up to 12 months).

Determine your eligibility

As a Mexican Citizen, you can participate in the IEC twice, under any category. There has to be a pause of three years between the date of expiration of their first Canadian work permit under the IEC and the date of presentation of the second IEC application.

To be eligible for the International Co-op Category (Internships), you should:

  • Be a Mexican Citizen.
  • Have a valid Mexican Passport for the duration of your stay in Canada – your work permit in Canada will be no longer than the validity of your passport.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 29 (both inclusive) at the time of the application.
  • Registered as a student in a post-high school institution in Mexico.
  • Have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD to help cover your expenses.
  • Be capable of contracting health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present proof of this insurance when you enter Canada.
  • Admissible to Canada.
  • Have, before leaving, a round-trip ticket or the economic resources to buy a return ticket by the end of your authorized stay in Canada.
  • Have a signed offer or contract letter for the work or internship position in Canada that fulfills the requirements of your academic study plan in Mexico.
  • Not be accompanied by your dependents.
  • Pay the fees.