Professional Work for Young Adults

Description: The Professional Young Adult Category is designed for Mexican Citizens (among 32 other countries), particularly the post-high school graduates, that wish to advance their careers through obtaining professional work experience in Canada. The participants should have a signed work offer or contract letter before making the application (up to 12 months).

Determine your eligibility

As a Mexican Citizen, you can participate in the IEC twice, under any category. There has to be a pause of three years between the date of expiration of their first Canadian work permit under the IEC and the date of presentation of the second IEC application.
Starting in 2015, the work that is offered to you in Canada should be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Level Type 0, A or B for it to be considered as a contribution to your “professional development”.

To be eligible for the Young Adult Category, you should:

  • Be a Mexican Citizen.
  • Have a valid Mexican Passport for the duration of your stay in Canada – your work permit in Canada will be no longer than the validity of your passport.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 29 (both inclusive) at the time of the application.
  • Have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD to help cover your expenses.
  • Be capable of contracting health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present proof of this insurance when you enter Canada.
  • Admissible to Canada.
  • Have, before leaving, a round-trip ticket or the economic resources to buy a return ticket by the end of your authorized stay in Canada.
  • You should have a signed offer or contract letter for work in Canada – the work offer should be within your specialization field (through the work education or experience) and contribute to your professional development.
  • Not be accompanied by your dependents.
  • Pay the fees.