Working Holiday Visa

Description: The category of working on holiday is designed for Mexican Citizens (in addition to another 32 eligible countries) that intend to travel to Canada and wish to find a paid temporary employment to help pay for their stay. The participants should be registered in a post-high school institution in Mexico and travel to Canada during their academic holiday (up to 12 months).

Determine your eligibility

As a Mexican Citizen, you can participate in the IEC twice, under any category. There has to be a pause of three years between the date of expiration of their first Canadian work permit under the IEC and the date of presentation of the second IEC application.

To be eligible for the category of Working Holiday, you should:

  • Be a Mexican Citizen.
  • Have a valid Mexican Passport for the duration of your stay in Canada – your work permit in Canada will be no longer than the validity of your passport.
  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 29 (both inclusive) at the time of the application.
  • Registered as a student in a post-high school institution in Mexico.
  • Have the equivalent of $2,500 CAD to help cover your expenses.
  • Be capable of contracting health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present proof of this insurance when you enter Canada.
  • Admissible to Canada.
  • Have, before leaving, a round-trip ticket or the economic resources to buy a return ticket by the end of your authorized stay in Canada.
  • Not be accompanied by your dependents.
  • Pay the fees.

They should fulfill all the Canadian federal or provincial registrations and licenses that are relevant for your profession. For example, if they are offered construction work, are in the medical field, as a mechanic or engineer, or in any other specialized area, you need to investigate whether or not you need to satisfy any provincial license that is awarded or regulated requirements.